Home buyers don’t overlook flaws they see in a house, particularly if those flaws obviously need repairs or redo. They want a house that is in move-in condition, not a house that requires a lot of work. Therefore, before you put up your home for sale, you must apply some basic and inexpensive improvements to your house. Think of the things that requires replacement or repair in your house. This is the time to do the repairs you always had in mind but had no time for.
The following are the things that require your attention:
• Repair doors that don’t work properly – The entrance will give a first impression to home buyers. If your entrance shows problems or any signs of neglected upkeep, it will leave a negative impression that could blow the deal. So, make sure that your entrance works properly. You are familiar if your doors don’t open or shut properly and if this happen, fix it immediately.
• Fix the roof – Missing, cracked or blown off roof shingles are clear signs of a roof in need of repair. If you have this for a long time, you most probably have heavy leaks and rotten roof decks underneath your shingles. Sagging or loose gutters should be fixed as well. It will cause a lot of problem to other areas of your home if left unfixed. You must repair these problems to prevent water from entering your home and to protect your investment in your home.
Problems on roof shingles can be replaced with asphalt roof shingles because they are easy and inexpensive to install, maintain and repair. Note that the need for this repair is not always obvious because some parts of the roof are out of sight but always lookout for warning signs. If you find water or leaks in the attic, you have to fix this problem to avoid property damage.
• Fix Flooring – Home buyers normally looks around. Just imagine how the buyers will react when they see your cracked or discoloured floor tiles or hear your creaking and squeaking wooden floor whenever they walk on them. These floor problems are annoying and require expensive repairs that buyers do not wish to fix themselves. Flooring problems might even become the reason why you couldn’t sell your home. So, if you have cracked floor tiles, replace them. If you have discoloured floors, remove stains by cleaning them. If you have noisy, squeaky wooden floors, lubricate the wood or stop its movement. It is also possible to solve the problem with noisy wooden floors by using a carpet with a thick pad.
• Repaint Ceilings and Walls with a Neutral Shade – Paint can become worn over time and it may tear or peel from the surface. Aside from this, marks and scuffs on walls are also unsightly and are huge turn-off to buyers. One thing you can do to fix these problems is to repaint it. When you repaint, don’t forget to use neutral shades.
• Get Rid of Smell – Buyers can easily determine how well you maintain your house base on how your house smell. It may look clean inside and out but the odor will tell them everything. If buyers could smell the horrible odor coming from your toilet or kitchen sink or your house smells musty, this is a serious deal breaker.
To get rid of that funky smell, clean toilets, bathrooms and the kitchen with bleach. If your house smells musty, make sure to provide proper ventilation inside the house. Open your windows and turn on fans to air out the odor. If bleaching doesn’t work on your toilet and kitchen, you should call a local plumber because you might have a clogged toilet or kitchen sink.
Home buyers love to take over a well-maintained home because it is cheaper for them than to take over a neglected home. Maintaining a home is not an easy chore but it is necessary to make your house look well-cared for. The repairs also require money and plenty of your time but it’s all worth it because this will significantly enhance the saleability of your home.